Founded in 1916, the Erie Playhouse engages, educates, and entertains patrons and volunteers with theatrical productions ranging from classical to contemporary; we train the next generation of artists and arts advocates; we enrich the Erie Community by providing fun and meaningful educational performing arts programs that serve the entire community regardless of background or socio-economic status. We celebrate the power of the performing arts to impact personal and community growth. With a typical annual budget of $1.3M, a historic 434 seat theatre, and an outstanding reputation for quality performances, the Erie Playhouse is a leader on stage and in the greater community. The Erie Playhouse is a proud partner to Erie Arts & Culture, a grantee of the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, and an Erie County Lead Asset as designated by the Erie County Gaming Revenue.
Position Description: PLAYtime/Early Learning Facilitator
We are looking for two creative, energetic individuals who have a love of music and education, and a passion for building a love of reading and the arts in children from pre-K to first grade! The Erie Playhouse PLAYtime program has been in operation since 2014, with the support of the United Way and the Neighborhood Assistance Program, beginning in Erie City Early Learning Centers and expanding to include all of the Erie City School District Community Schools. PLAYtime Uses the arts as a vehicle to make a meaningful connection with the stories from Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library with, in, and through the use of song, drama, movement, and visual arts, stories come alive and create purposeful shared reading experiences. Inspiration & Imagination are the recurring themes throughout the 5-year cycle of PLAYtime and include:
- love of reading and learning
- regard for diversity of people, their roles, culture, and environment
- promotion of self-esteem and confidence
- appreciation of art and aesthetics as outlined by the Imagination Library Values and character
- Issues—fear, conflict, love, safety
- Hero, complication, resolution
- Diversity of others—faces, environment
- Play, humor, fun
- School preparation and readiness
- Thank you, appreciation
PLAYtime facilitators will work directly with specific community schools within the Erie School District throughout the school year to provide in-person PLAYtime sessions, coordinate the delivery of PLAYtime digital sessions, and potentially participate in other school events. The facilitators will coordinate their schedules directly with the school administrators and teachers, with approximately eight hours a week spent in-classroom and in at-home planning. All needed materials and training are provided by the Playhouse at no cost to the facilitator.
We are seeking candidates with the following skills:
- Affinity for working with young children in Pre-K through first grade
- Love of music, dramatic play, art, and creativity
- A creative and collaborative individual who can work well with a group and independently
- Ability to lead and engage a classroom of children using creative storytelling
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
- At least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or GED. Current college education majors are highly encouraged to apply
- A reliable method of transportation
- Able to pass State and National Background checks, as well as any other documentation required by the Erie School District
- Experience working with young children as an instructor or care provider
- A love of theatre, music, and reading!
- A good singing voice is a plus!
- Confidence to perform in front of a classroom
The Erie Playhouse is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
Pay begins at $20/hour and is negotiable and commensurate with qualifications. This position is for the school calendar year, but could potentially include some summer programming, if the candidate is interested and the opportunity presents. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Kate Neubert-Lechner at email@example.com or mail to 13 W. 10th St., Erie PA, 16501, attention Kate. All submissions must be received by November 15th and the positions will remain open until filled.
Fill out the form below: