Elephant and Piggie’s “We Are In A Play!”
By Mo Willems & Deborah Wicks LaPuma
- March 18, 20224:00 pm
- March 20, 20222:00 pm
Location:Erie Playhouse Rehearsal Hall
1158 East 12th Street
Erie, PA 16503
Youtheatre Auditions for Mo Willems & Deborah Wicks La Puma’s Elephant & Piggie “We Are in a Play!” based on the beloved children’s book series will be held at the Erie Playhouse Rehearsal Hall at 1158 East 12th Street:
- Friday, March 18 from 4:00-5:30pm
- Sunday, March 20 from 2:00-3:30pm
Auditions are open for all actors aged 9-18! We are looking for a diverse cast of fun-loving performers and always LOVE to see new faces!
*Masks are required for auditions and all actors will be required to show proof of vaccination at the time of the auditions.
Elephant & Piggie’s “We Are In a Play!”
Book & Lyrics & Based on the book series by Mo Willems
Music by Deborah Wicks La Puma
Directed & Choreographed by Kate Neubert-Lechner
Musical Direction by Benjamin Snyder
Show Dates: May 13th @ 10a (school day matinees), 14th @ 11a, and 15th @2p. There is a potential for an added matinee on Thursday, May 12th at 10a.
Rehearsals begin the week of March 28, 2022.
Audition Requirements: All actors must be ages 9-18. Please prepare a song with accompaniment (that’s the music you sing to) that is about a minute in length (or a verse and a chorus) that shows your range and a short monologue, poem, or speech to perform. We would prefer you have things memorized, but if you need to read it…we understand…nerves happen! You can find songs with sheet music online at places like sheetmusicplus.com, musicnotes.com, and scribed.com. For monologues, look at plays, books, movies, or tv shows you like…but keep it appropriate for your age! We want to see kids playing kids, not crazy adults or Euphoria teens! This show is done in vaudeville style, which means everyone is super enthusiastic and over the top, so HAVE FUN!
Questions? Email email@example.com
Synopsis: An elephant named Gerald and a pig named Piggie are best, best, “bestus” (a word Gerald and Piggie made up that means “very best”) friends, but Gerald worries that something could go wrong that would end their friendship. Piggie is not worried at all. She’s even happier and more excited than usual. That’s because she and Gerald are invited to a party hosted by the Squirrelles, three singing squirrels who love to have a good time. And so begins a day when anything is possible. Based on the beloved, award-winning book series by Mo Willems.
Character descriptions: Please note that all characters can be played by actors with any gender identity. We are looking for actors aged 9-18.
Choreography for this production will accommodate all abilities.
Dependent on audition turn-out, all roles MAY be double cast to allow more actors an opportunity!
- Piggie: An ebullient, inquisitive pink pig. Best friends with Gerald. Mezzo or Soprano with mix/belt, G3-A5
- Gerald: A lumbering, somewhat formally attired elephant; prone to melancholy. Best friends with Piggie. Vocal Range: Tenor A2-F4
- The Squirelles: A trio of back-up singing squirrels; friends with Gerald and Piggie. 60s-style girl group a la the Shirelles and the Supremes. Must be excellent at tight harmonies – they sing in 3-part harmony almost the entire show. Soprano 1 vocal range: Ab3-Ab5, Soprano 2 vocal range: Ab3-Eb5, Alto vocal range: E3-D5
- Dog: A dutiful delivery dog. Dog and Penguin will be our mischief makers! Any vocal range
- Penguin: A sarcastic ice cream seller. Dog and Penguin will be our mischief makers! Any vocal range.
PLEASE NOTE: All actors will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 AT THE TIME OF AUDITION. You will be asked to provide your vaccination card for proof of vaccination at the time of audition.
Auditions, rehearsals, and production will follow the Playhouse’s COVID-19 Protocols, which are available for review here.